Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Wow: Chicken instead of Turkey Again.

I go to the grocery store to buy ground turkey. I know, I know, you'd think I'd be so sick of it. But I read a recipe that enticed me: It's from the new Jerusalem: A Cookbook and while I didn't have all the ingredients I had enough to make me feel that I could make something delicious. I grabbed the ground turkey and as I passed by the chicken, saw that boneless breasts were on sale, an-almost extreme sale.  The package was large but I couldn't resist. I didnt dare buy both so I put the turkey back. 

Here is what I purchased
4.44 lbs Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breast ($2.49/lb)= $11.06 on sale
Simply Smart milk = $3.99 on sale
Cabot Cottage Cheese $2.85
Extra Sharp Cheddar Cheese (store brand)= $2.99 on sale
Scallions $2.59
Humus $1.99 on sale

Total= $25.47
Total so far= $159.28
Total left for 10 more days= $40.72
Very full fridge but uh oh.

Recipe: Chicken with Lemon and Oregano
2 tablespoons lemon juice
grated zest of one lemon
3 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons olive oil
2 scallions, including greens and whites, chopped 
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 tablespoons dried oregano
1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
about 3 1/2 pounds boneless chicken breasts

Place the lemon juice, lemon zest, 3 tablespoons olive oil, scallions, garlic, oregano, red pepper flakes and salt in a bowl and mix well. 

Add the chicken and mix well. Make sure all sides are well coated with the lemon juice mixture. Cover and refrigerate at least 4 hours and up to two days. 

To cook the chicken: Place a skillet over medium high heat and when it is hot, add the oil. Sprinkle the chicken with salt and pepper and add it to the hot pan. Cook until deeply browned, about 5 minutes per side. 

To freeze before cooking: Place the chicken, in a single layer, in a plastic bag or container with space between each piece, this way you can remove them, one at a time, to defrost. 


Recipe: Poached Chicken
My idea was to make chicken salad for lunch so I took out one large breast, and poached it. I didn't really end up making chicken salad but instead, used the little bit I had left of Garlicky Salad Dressing, which was actually great.  

about 3/4 pound boneless chicken breasts
enough cold water to cover

Put the chicken in a pan or pot and cover with cold water. Set the heat to high and bring to a boil. As soon as it boils, turn the chicken pieces over and lower the heat to low. Simmer 10 minutes and then side aside to cool. When cool, drain and refrigerate. 

Recipe: Sauteed Zucchini and Peppers

Yield: about 4 cups 

2 teaspoons olive oil 
1 onion, chopped
2 bell peppers, seeded and chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 large zucchini, diced
1 teaspoon dried oregano

Place a skillet on the stove and turn the heat to medium. When it is hot, add the oil. Add the onion, bell peppers and garlic cloves and cook 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. 
Add the zucchini and oregano and stir well. Cover and cook 15- 20 minutes. Serve immediately or cover and refrigerate up to 3 days. 



No comments:

Post a Comment