Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Childhood Cheeseburgers (bet you didn't think I'd be able to make these!)

I go to the grocery store on a ChopChop errand and as I walk by the meat and poultry section see that ground beef (actually it's the higher quality "ground sirloin") is on sale. It's less than ground turkey and it's certainly less that any other kind of beef.  Although I'm not there to get groceries for myself, I now can't resist a sale. I buy the ground sirloin and then decide I might as well go wild and make a cheeseburger. Luckily the cheese too is on sale. 

Here is what I purchased:

Ground sirloin 4.29/lb on sale  $4.85
2 lbs. Cheddar cheese on sale $4.99
1 dozen eggs on sale $3.49
1 lb. dry white beans $1.29
Total: $14.62
Total so far: $173.90

I go to the produce market again with imaginary Bounty Bucks


Here is what I purchased:

2.02 lb broccoli crowns 1.98/lb  $4.00
3 bananas $.85
1 eggplant $1.67
1 head garlic $.30
3 sweet potatoes $2.40
2 lbs carrots $1.49
1 pint raspberries $2.98 (I splurged!)
1 lb bag chopped kale $2.99
Total: $16.68
Minus $10.00 imaginary Bounty Bucks
Total so far= $180.58

Recipe: Childhood Cheeseburgers

When I was a child - maybe elementary school- I got a Peanuts Cookbook (you know, Charlie Brown, Snoopy, Linus and Sally!) that included a recipe for Cheeseburgers. Instead of adding the cheese to the top, it instructed the young cook/reader to put the cheese in the center. It is the way I have always made cheeseburgers. You can use any kind of cheese you like: blue is my favorite (but not on this budget). 

1/4- 1/3 pound ground beef
about 1 oz cheese of your choice
Kosher salt and black pepper

Divide the ground beef into two patties of equal size.  Flatten them.  
Place the cheese on one half and top with the other half. Seal the edges by pinching them tight and then re-form into a patty. 

In order to keep the burger uniform, and not pop up in the center, make an indentation with your thumb in the center of each side.

Sprinkle generously with salt and pepper.

Put the skillet on the stove and turn the heat to high. When it is smoking hot, add the burger and cook until it is the way you like it, 3 - 5 minutes per side or longer for well done.

The burger just before it hits the smoking hot pan.

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete