Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Keeping Track of Recipes and My Favorite Recipe for Broccoli Rabe


Recipe Writing

Someone just asked me how I keep track of the recipes I come up with and I am embarrassed 
to say that it's not very scientific. I'd like to say that I have one notebook and keep meticulous notes but I'd be lying. 

Instead, I write on a million different pads and have created a shorthand that means something to me. 
Later, usually within a day or two, I type it into my computer in a language that hopefully means something to you.  

Do let me know. 

Recipe: Broccoli Rabe and Chickpeas
For me, this dish was great served alongside a sweet potato but could also be served over pasta or rice. One night I reheated it and topped with two fried eggs. 

Makes about 3 servings

1 - 2 teaspoons olive oil
1 onion, thinly sliced
1 garlic, minced
½ celery rib
1 bunch broccoli rabe, washed and chopped but not dried
½ cup water
1 16 ounce can chickpeas beans, drained and rinsed
1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
1/4- 1/2 crushed red pepper flakes

Place a medium skillet on the stove and set the heat to medium high. When it is hot, add the oil. Add the onion slices and cook until they are just beginning to brown and almost get crisp, about 10 minutes. Add the garlic, celery and water and cook until the mixture is syrupy, about 10 minutes.
Add the broccoli rabe, cover and let steam until the rabe is turning bright green, about 5 minutes. Add the beans and stir well. Cover and cook until the rabe is tender, about 10 minutes. 
Add the lemon juice and red pepper flakes and serve immediately. 




No comments:

Post a Comment