Thursday, January 24, 2013

Carrot Apple Soup

Recipe: Carrot Apple Soup
Aside from the fact that it's delicious, I made this soup because it's ridiculously cold in Boston and I had everything on hand. It's a very versatile soup: I've been known to 1 teaspoon fresh ginger or dried fennel at the same time as the the carrots; switch out an orange for the apple; enrich with 1/2 cup milk or yogurt and/or garnish with chopped fresh basil, cilantro or dill. It's also great with 1/4 cup lightly toasted walnuts, which you add when you put the soup in the blender. If it's too thick for your taste, add some more liquid; if too thin, just cook a little longer, uncovered.  It's also a great way to get kids to eat carrots.

Yield: about 8 cups

1 teaspoon olive oil
1 onion, chopped
2 celery stalks, chopped
1 lb. carrots, scrubbed and chopped
1 apple, cored and chopped
1 teaspoon curry powder
8-10 cups water, chicken or vegetable stock


Place a soup pot on the stove and set the heat to medium high. When it is hot, add the oil. Add the onion, celery, carrots, apple and curry powder and cook, covered, until everything is started to wilt, about 15 minutes.
Add the water or stock and bring to a boil. Lower the heat to low and cook, covered until the carrots are very tender, about 30 minutes. Set aside to cool. 

Place a small amount in a blender and blend until smooth. Repeat until all the soup has been blended. Transfer to a container (or containers), cover and refrigerate up to three days.


What's left (after 23 days)?
After making the soup, I don't have much else in the fridge, other than fruit. I have 3 grapefruits, 5 apples and 2 oranges. I also have 2 bell peppers, 1 bunch of scallions,  1 head romaine, 2 eggs and about 3/4 container of yogurt. I also have almost a whole quart of milk. I also have frozen: about 5 pieces Chicken with Lemon and Oregano and 3 or 4 cups frozen Curried Vegetable Stew. My plan is to hold off shopping as long as I can. 

No comments:

Post a Comment