Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Tsatsiki

I've been wanting to make humus for weeks and weeks or something dippy I could head to when I get home from work, something I can munch on while I contemplate dinner.

Tsatsiki, a Greek dip/spread made from thickened yogurt and cucumbers, seemed perfect. Now that you can buy Greek yogurt it isn't really necessary to strain your own yogurt unless, of course, you have regular yogurt and are on a budget. The straining usually takes place with muslin, though I have been known to use paper towels. But this time I eyed my coffee filters, which worked nicely. Just be sure to wash the cone part well before you make coffee!

Recipe: Tsatsiki
Tsatsiki is great as a dip, with raw vegetables or pita. Also on burgers or as a spread on sandwiches, instead of mayo.

Put your coffee filter to
another use.
Yield: about 1 1/2 cups

1 cup plain yogurt
1 cup diced cucumber
1 garlic clove, minced
Kosher salt and black pepper

To drain the yogurt (to make it thicker): Put the yogurt in the filter and set aside for one hour, after which it should have halved. If you want it even thicker, just let it sit longer. Put the yogurt in a bowl and discard the liquid.
What's left after draining.

Add the cucumbers and garlic and mix well. Add salt and pepper to taste. Serve immediately or cover and refrigerate up to 2 days. More liquid will appear: either mix it in or gently pour it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment