Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Soup, Soup and more Soup

It's been a really long time since I have posted but it's not because I've abandoned my SNAP TestKitchen. I've been looking for deals at the grocery store, cooking away (particularly soup, soup and more soup) but not really taking pictures and not quite keeping track as well as I had hoped. Unlike many people, I love to cook but don't love to grocery shop- - - and particularly don't love to comparison shop. (A few years ago I shared a CSA share with a neighbor. She picked it up (and actually paid for it), I cooked whatever I wanted (using additional ingredients which I purchased) and then I cooked enough for both families. That was heaven for both of us).

So.......... I've cooked very unphotogenic White Bean Soup and Black Bean Soup (which is actually photogenic but I didn't photograph) and also Refrigerator Minestrone (with what was left in my fridge) and Mushroom Barley, once with the barley and once without (and also added diced tomatoes and 1 teaspoon fennel seed).

Bean Soups are definitely best made at least one day ahead of when you want to serve them. They need time for the flavors to mingle. If you can't wait, no worries. Both soups are super inexpensive to make, freeze well and are very filling.

White Bean Soup
Makes about 10 cups
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 large onion, chopped
2 celery stalk, choppped
3 carrots, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 teaspoon fennel or anise seed
2 16 ounce cans white beans, rinsed and drained
8 cups chicken stock
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
Parmesan or blue cheese, for serving

Place large stockpot over medium heat and when it is hot, add the oil. Add the onion, celery, carrots, garlic and fennel seed and cook until tender, 10- 15 minutes.
Add the beans and stock and bring to a boil . Lower the heat to low and cook 1 hour, or until the beans are liquid are well combined. 
Stir in the lemon juice right before serving. Add Parmesan or blue cheese.

Black Bean Soup
I love this soup for its great versatility: you can make it as spicy as you want, add more vegetables (more of what is called for, or additionally fennel or sweet potato cubes) and you can leave it chunky or blend it to be smooth (or partially, which is what I like). You can add a ham hock at the beginning or at the end, cooked ham or chicken. You can also speed it up by using canned beans.

Makes about 10 cups

1 pound dried black beans
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 large Spanish onion, chopped
6 garlic cloves, minced
1 teaspoon ground cumin
2 teaspoons ground chili powder
1 teaspoon oregano
1 16 ounce can diced tomatoes
10 cups chicken stock

Place the black beans in a large pot, cover generously with water and bring to a boil. Let sit overnight. Drain and return to pot. Cover again with cold water and bring to a boil. Cook until the beans are tender, about 1 hour, depending on how fresh your beans are.  Drain and set aside.

Place the same pot over medium heat and when it is hot, add the oil. Add the onion, garlic, spices and cook until tender, 10-15 minutes.

Add the beans, tomatoes and stock and bring to a boil. Lower the heat to low and cook, partially covered, until tender, about 2 hours.

If you want remove about 2 cups of the soup and puree it. Add it back to the pot.
Serve with lime juice (or vinegar) and plain yogurt.




2 comments:

  1. While I'd consider this more of a greens, veggie & bean soup I was thoroughly impressed with this recipe from Epicurious: http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Ribollita-357309
    In the PacNW kale and other greens are pretty cheap at the farmers market right now making this a very inexpensive soup. I skipped the final part of adding bread and broth and it still made a ton and tasted great. Also used a bit more carrots & celery instead of fennel and a can of tomatoes instead of fresh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks fantastic. I'm actually a big fan of Ribollita too. Thanks for the recommendation!

    ReplyDelete