Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Trader Joe's and Shopping so far this month

A few of my friends have asked why I haven't been shopping at Trader Joe's, claiming that not only are the products high quality, the prices are low. My first reaction was that Trader Joe's isn't available in enough locations to be particularly relevant for people who are really on food stamps but even beyond that, when Trader Joe's first moved to Boston it seemed to me they only sold snacks and condiments, two things pretty off limits to me. Although I have shopped there on occasion and knew this not to be true I never really changed my perception.

That is, until I did my hellish day of comparison shopping. 


Most of the items I bought were neither snacks nor condiments (other than the mustard).

Here is what I purchased at Trader Joe's: 

2 1/2 # boneless, skinless chicken breast 6.99  (frozen)
Trader Joe's Organic Plain Non-fat Yogurt 2.99 (woah, so cheap!)
Trader Joe's Ground Beef 85/15 3.69
Trader Joe's Almond Butter 5.99 (I'm pretty sure this is the same as the Marantha brand at the supermarket which costs $13.99)
Trader Joe's Smooth and Creamy Spicy Humus 2.99* 
Trader Joe's Dijon Mustard 1.69 (about 1/8 the price of Grey Poupon!)
Organic Omega 3 brown eggs 3.79

Total= 28.13


I also purchased:


Over the Moon milk 2.99 (on sale)

Cabot Seriously Sharp cheese 3.59
Tofu 2.99
Celery 2.69
Escarole 2.49
3 # carrots 2.99
1# Applegate Farms smoked turkey 0 (I was given a coupon)

Total: 16.74


Swiss cheese 3.99 (on sale)

Brown Eggs 2.59
2 # yellow onions 2.49
2 heads garlic 1.08
1 bunch parsley (tho they charged me for cilantro, so I was probably overcharged) 2.49
Can of anchovies 1.69 on sale

Total: 14.33


Greek Yogurt (from a local shop) 7.14

2 Cabot Cottage Cheese $5.70
Total= 12.84

Total so far= 72.04 

I know that I bought mushrooms earlier in the month but can't find the receipt. so I'll make the total $75. I have three days left and $25 to spend!!  wooohoo!
* a note about humus: Humus is one of the only things I consistently buy that is pre- made. There are so many companies that do a good job of it, I have rarely made my own in years. Trader Joe's Smooth and Creamy was excellent and waaaay cheaper than even my usual brands even when on sale. 

No comments:

Post a Comment